Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Sonnet of the Moon / Charles Best


A Sonnet of the Moon

Look how the pale queen of the silent night
Doth cause the ocean to attend upon her;
And he, as long as she is in his sight,
With his full tide is ready her to honor:
But when the silver wagon of the moon
Is mounted up so high he cannot follow,
The sea calls home his crystal waves to moan,
And with low ebb doth manifest his sorrow.
So you that are the sovereign of my heart
Have all my joys attending on your will;
My joys low-ebbing when you do depart,
When you return their tide my heart doth fill:
     So as you come and as you do depart,
     Joys ebb and flow within my tender heart.

---
Charles Best 
from A Poetical Rhapsody (2nd edition), 1608

[Poem is in the public domain worldwide]

"A Sonnet of the Moon" read by Michael York

Charles Best biography

No comments:

Post a Comment