Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Vagabond Song / Bliss Carman

 
A Vagabond Song

There is something in the autumn that is native to my blood —
Touch of manner, hint of mood;
And my heart is like a rhyme,
With the yellow and the purple and the crimson keeping time.

The scarlet of the maples can shake me like a cry
Of bugles going by
And my lonely spirit thrills
To see the frosty asters like a smoke upon the hills.

There is something in October sets the gypsy blood astir;
We must rise and follow her,
When from every hill of flame
She calls and calls each vagabond by name.

~~
Bliss Carman
from
More Songs from Vagabondia, 1896
http://tinyurl.com/carman-vagabond-song

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

Bliss Carman biography

"A Vagabond Song" read by Clarica. Courtesy Poems Cafe.

1 comment:

  1. Cathleen Harvea GuthrieNovember 2, 2023 at 4:47 AM

    Please note I am a novice regarding poetry and wish to write exceptional poetry; to learn. Learning, embarking still today, at my leisure. Interesting syllable count, I like to count syllables. 15/7/7/15 13/6/7/14 15/7/7/10. I appreciate this as this lets us know there are no hard and fast rules when writing poetry - freeing. Meter/rhythm of a poem does matter, of course. Must be said though that specific rules apply to certain forms of poetry, of course. 💟💟💟💟💟💟💟

    ReplyDelete