Sunday, May 18, 2014

Mount Auburn in May / Louise Imogen Guiney


Mount Auburn in May

This is earth's liberty-day:
Yonder the linden-trees sway
     To music of winds from the west,
And I hear the old merry refrain,
Of the stream that has broken its chain
     By the gates of the City of Rest,

The City whose exquisite towers
I see thro' the sunny long hours
     If but from my window I lean;
Yea, dearest! thy threshold of stone,
Thine ivy-grown door and my own
     Have naught save the river between.

Thine on that heavenly height
Are beauty, and warmth, and delight;
     And long as our parting shall be,
Live there in thy summer! nor know
How near lie the frost and the snow
     On hearts that are breaking for thee.

~~
Louise Imogen Guiney (1861-1920)
from Songs at the Start, 1884

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

No comments:

Post a Comment