Sunday, May 2, 2010

How soon will all my lovely days be over / Bliss Carman

from Sappho: One Hundred Lyrics

LIV

How soon will all my lovely days be over,
And I no more be found beneath the sun,—
Neither beside the many-murmuring sea,
Nor where the plain-winds whisper to the reeds,
Nor in the tall beech-woods among the hills
Where roam the bright-lipped Oreads, nor along
The pasture-sides where berry-pickers stray
And harmless shepherds pipe their sheep to fold!

For I am eager, and the flame of life
Burns quickly in the fragile lamp of clay.
Passion and love and longing and hot tears
Consume this mortal Sappho, and too soon
A great wind from the dark will blow upon me,
And I be no more found in the fair world,
For all the search of the revolving moon
And patient shine of everlasting stars.

~~
Bliss Carman (1861-1929)
from Sappho: One hundred lyrics, 1904

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

Bliss Carman biography

No comments:

Post a Comment