Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Token / John Donne


Sonnet: The Token

Send me some token, that my hope may live,
    Or that my easeless thoughts may sleep and rest;
Send me some honey to make sweet my hive,
    That in my passion I may hope the best.
I beg no ribbon wrought with thine own hands,
    To knit our loves in the fantastic strain
Of new-toucht youth; nor Ring to shew the stands
    Of our affection, as that’s round and plain,
So should our loves meet in simplicity.
    No, nor the Corals which thy wrist infold,
Lac’d up together in congruity,
    To shew our thoughts should rest in the same hold;
No, nor thy picture, though most gracious,
    And most desir’d, because best like the best;
Nor witty Lines, which are most copious,
    Within the Writings which thou hast addressed.
Send me nor this, nor that, t’increase my store,
But swear thou thinkst I love thee, and no more.

---
John Donne (1572-1631)
from Poems, 1633

[Poem is in the public domain worldwide]

John Donne biography

No comments:

Post a Comment