Friday, March 25, 2011

I loved you when the tide of prayer / Bliss Carman


LIX

I loved you when the tide of prayer
Swept over you, and kneeling there
In the pale summer of the stars,
You laid your cheek to mine.

I loved you when the auroral fire,
Like the world's veriest desire,
Burned up, and as it touched the sea,
You laid your limbs to mine.

I loved you when you stood tiptoe
To say farewell, and let me go
Into the night from your laced arms,
And laid your mouth to mine.

And I shall love you on that day
The wind comes over the sea to say
Your golden name upon men's mouths,
And mix your dust with mine.

~~
Bliss Carman
from Songs of the Sea Children, 1904

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

Bliss Carman biography

No comments:

Post a Comment