Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Afterglow / George J. Dance


Afterglow

My darling, on this night of Valentine's, 
Excuse me while I find a way to say 
I love you, knowing I could never pay 
For thirty years with only fourteen lines. 
But let me try to say just what I mean: 
That in the depths of February's chill, 
As long as I can have you with me still, 
It never will be dark or cold, Maureen; 
For, holding you and looking at the snow, 
     I see a light from thirty years ago 
Still blazing, gleaming, dazzling all below! 
And looking in your eyes, Maureen, I know 
     A passion from as many years ago, 
Which warms my body with its afterglow. 

~~
George J. Dance, 2007
from Logos, and other logoi, 2021

[All rights reserved by the author - Used with permission]

George J. Dance biography
Valentine's Day on The Penny Blog

1 comment:

  1. This is me commenting as a student of poetry; learning from who I consider to be a poetry master. Wonderful iambic pentameter, well done. Unique rhyme scheme: ABBA CDDC EEEE EE. Enjambment used, the reader carried without interruption to the next line. I appreciate the lesson in punctuation. Perfection from beginning to end. An expression of genuine love. A pragma love comes to mind: commitment, endurance, companionship, sharing of similar outlook... Thank you George Dance. Appreciated. 💟💟💟💟💟💟

    ReplyDelete