Sunday, February 26, 2012

To Winter / Claude McKay


To Winter

Stay, season of calm love and soulful snows!
 There is a subtle sweetness in the sun,
 The ripples on the stream's breast gaily run,
 The wind more boisterously by me blows,
 And each succeeding day now longer grows.
 The birds a gladder music have begun,
 The squirrel, full of mischief and of fun, \
From maples' topmost branch the brown twig throws.
 I read these pregnant signs, know what they mean:
 I know that thou art making ready to go.
 Oh stay! I fled a land where fields are green
 Always, and palms wave gently to and fro,
And winds are balmy, blue brooks ever sheen,
 To ease my heart of its impassioned woe.

~~
Claude McKay
from Harlem Shadows, 1922

[All rights reserved by the author's estate - Please do not copy]

Claude McKay biography

No comments:

Post a Comment