Sunday, March 23, 2014

Spring Again / George J. Dance


Spring Again

It's spring again, and I am with Maureen.
I'd add, "thank God for that" (if I believed)
For, frozen as in high beams, I have seen
Oncoming dread: one dead and one bereaved.
No hope for us to live eternally
Or garner brave new bodies after death;
No more than this, the thought impelling me
To get untharn, to fight for every breath –
A battle till the setting of each sun,
A victory each sunset we survive,
Another day my love and I have won
And death has lost. Today we are alive,
     This world is ours, its grass and trees are green,
     It's spring again, and I am with Maureen.

~~
George J. Dance, 2010
from Doggerel, and other doggerel, 2015

[All rights reserved by the author - used with permission]

George J. Dance biography

1 comment: