Saturday, January 18, 2020

Winter Song / Elizabeth Tollet


Winter Song

Ask me no more, my truth to prove,
What I would suffer for my love.
With thee I would in exile go
To regions of eternal snow,
O’er floods by solid ice confined,
Through forest bare with northern wind:
While all around my eyes I cast,
Where all is wild and all is wast.
If there the timorous stag you chase,
Or rouse to fight a fiercer race,
Undaunted I thy arms would bear,
And give thy hand the hunter’s spear.
When the low sun withdraws his light,
And menaces an half-year’s night,
Thy conscious moon and stars above
Shall guide me with my wandering love.
Beneath the mountain’s hollow brow,
Or in its rocky cells below,
Thy rural feast I would provide,
Nor envy palaces their pride.
The softest moss should dress thy bed,
With savage spoils about thee spread:
While faithful love the watch should keep,
To banish danger from thy sleep.

~~
Elizabeth Tollet (1694-1754)
from Female Poets of Great Britain, 1848

[Poem is in the public domain worldwide]

Elizabeth Tollet biography

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the posting; a bit of a fantasy for an Augustan lady!

    ReplyDelete