Saturday, February 1, 2020

Fall of Stars / George H. Dillon


Fall of Stars

The snow came down like stars tonight
Over the city silently.
The air, like a great glittering tree,
Bloomed noiselessly with light.

I thought, it is the snow I see
Like stars. And it was long ago
That ever I saw the stars like snow.

And I thought of a boy, a long time dead,
Who dreamed such beauty out of pain
That music moved within his brain
And the stars stormed in his head.

His ghost is like the wind, I said,
That cries into the crystal gloom,
And wanders where the white clouds blow.

And I shall hear his song, I know,
Wherever the boughs of silence bloom
With snow like stars or stars like snow.

~~
George H. Dillon (1906-1968)
from Poetry, August 1926

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada]

George H. Dillon biography

No comments:

Post a Comment