Saturday, December 10, 2022

Come, come thou bleak December wind /
Samuel Taylor Coleridge


[Fragment 3]

Come, come thou bleak December wind,
And blow the dry leaves from the tree!
Flash, like a Love-thought, thro' me, Death
And take a Life that wearies me.

~~
Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834)
from Complete Poetical Works,  1912

[Poem is in the public domain worldwide]

Samuel Taylor Coleridge biography

John Everett Millais (1829-1896), Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, 1892. Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. Cathleen Harvea GuthrieNovember 2, 2023 at 4:29 AM

    I studied The Rime of the Ancient Mariner using an old world dictionary. I was on the ship sailing with the crew and ancient mariner... the telephone rang! And I damn near jumped out of my skin. Left quite an impression on me this experience. Love Samuel Taylor Coleridges poetry. I wondered why so short, and why fragment 3, it is an unfinished poem, found in his notebook. I did find a fragment 1 and 2, also 4 line stanzas, unfinished too I suspect. 💟💟💟💟💟💟

    ReplyDelete