Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sensation / Arthur Rimbaud


Sensation 

In the hot summer days of shimmering blue
I shall wander uncharted frontiers,
With the grasses prickling and cooling my soles
And the breezes bathing my ears.

Not a word shall I speak, not a thought shall I think,
As I wander with nothing to guide me;
But my spirit shall fill with unlimited love,
As if for a woman beside me.

~~
translated by George J. Dance, 2013
from Doggerel, and other doggerel, 2015


Creative Commons License
["Sensation" by George J. Dance [translation of "Sensation" by Arthur Rimbaud] is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.]


Sensation

Par les soirs bleus d'été, j'irai dans les sentiers,
Picoté par les blés, fouler l'herbe menue:
Rêveur, j'en sentirai la fraîcheur à mes pieds.
Je laisserai le vent baigner ma tête nue.

Je ne parlerai pas, je ne penserai rien,
Mais l'amour infini me montera dans l'âme ;
Et j'irai loin, bien loin, comme un bohémien,
Par la Nature, heureux- comme avec une femme.

~~
Arthur Rimbaud, 1870

[Poem is in the public domain worldwide]

Arthur Rimbaud biography

No comments:

Post a Comment