Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Cease Fire / George J. Dance


Cease Fire 

For one full day we got to stop the business
Of trying to kill each other. We could stand,
And leave the trench, and meet in no-man's-land
To wish the other side a Merry Christmas.

One Hun pulled out a flask, gave me a drink –
I shared my smokes – we played a few card tricks,
Then showed our wives' and kids' and girly pics,
Said "Aww", and did the old nudge-nudge-wink-wink.

I saw a thing I never thought I'd see –
In different coloured clothes, a man like me –
And now I understand that man's my brother;

But understanding just compounds the crime,
For now I hear the sergeant's call: It's time
To go back out and try to kill each other.

~~
George J. Dance, 2018
from Logos, and other logoi, 2021

[All rights reserved - used with permission]

George J. Dance biography

No comments:

Post a Comment