Sunday, October 20, 2019

To the October Wind / Ethelwyn Wetherald


To the October Wind

Old playmate, showering the way
   With thick leaf storms in red and gold,
I’m only six years old to-day,
   You’ve made me feel but six years old.
In yellow gown and scarlet hood
   I whirled, a leaf among the rest,
Or lay within the thinning wood,
   And played that you were Red-of-breast.

Old comrade, lift me up again;
   Your arms are strong, your feet are swift,
And bear me lightly down the lane
   Through all the leaves that drift and drift,
And out into the twilight wood,
   And lay me softly down to rest,
And cover me just as you would
   If you were really Red-of-breast.

~~
Ethelwyn Wetherald (1857-1940)
from The House of the Trees, and other poems, 1895

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

Ethelwyn Wetherald biography

No comments:

Post a Comment