Sunday, May 31, 2020

A Pastoral / A. Mary F. Robinson


A Pastoral

It was Whit Sunday yesterday,
The neighbours met at church to pray;
But I remembered it was May
And went a-wandering far away.

I rested on a shady lawn,
Behind I heard green branches torn,
And through the gap there looked a Faun,
Green ivy hung from either horn.

We built ourselves a flowery house
With roof and walls of tangled boughs,
But while we sat and made carouse
The church bells drowned our songs and vows.

The light died out and left the sky,
We sighed and rose and said good-bye.
We had forgotten, He and I,
That he was dead, that I must die.

~~
A. Mary F. Robinson (1857-1944)
from A Handful of Honeysuckle, 1878

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

A. Mary F. Robinson biography

No comments:

Post a Comment