Sunday, November 1, 2020

The World's Body / AE Reiff


The World's Body

The spiritual did not come first
but the natural, and after that the spiritual.

I lay in bed
trying to get my breath,
slept a long hour or two before dawn,
gradually I became aware my body had risen
slightly from its sleeping form. This felt good so
I didn't move, went in and out of sleep several times.
I could hear differently then, wheezing groans, coughs
and forced breaths and sounds like long sonorous moans.
I was either asleep in this raised state hearing my own flesh
cry out in pain, or awake hearing the world's sound,
loud early in night which had since calmed down.
It was like a train or a moan the world cried out,
a patient deep in pain this resonant thing
with a mellow groan and travail.
I heard it snoring
in some detail.
I conclude from
this a spiritual world exists,
that its spiritual body lacks sense
and that something is terribly wrong
if it makes these sounds like an old folks
home. Back in flesh I didn't hear it again.


~~
AE Reiff

[All rights reserved by the author - Used with permission]

1 comment:

  1. Easily related to and something well worth the putting into words. We do not all dream the same dream every night in sync but many dreams have very close comparisons.

    ReplyDelete