Sunday, May 9, 2021

For You, Mother / Hilda Conkling


For You, Mother

I have a dream for you, Mother,
Like a soft thick fringe to hide your eyes.
I have a surprise for you, Mother,
Shaped like a strange butterfly.
I have found a way of thinking
To make you happy;
I have made a song and a poem
All twisted into one.
If I sing, you listen;
If I think, you know.
I have a secret from everybody in the world full of people
But I cannot always remember how it goes;
It is a song
For you, Mother,
With a curl of cloud and a feather of blue
And a mist
Blowing along the sky.
If I sing it some day, under my voice,
Will it make you happy?

~~
Hilda Conkling (1910-1986)
from
Poems by a Little Girl, 1920

[Poem is in the public domain in the United States]

Hilda Conkling biography

No comments:

Post a Comment