Sunday, September 5, 2021

September / Ella Wheeler Wilcox


September

My life's long radiant Summer halts at last
     And lo! beside my pathway I behold
Pursuing Autumn glide: nor frost nor cold
     Has heralded her presence; but a vast
Sweet calm that comes not till the year has passed
     Its fevered solstice, and a tinge of gold
Subdues the vivid coloring of bold
     And passion-hued emotions. I will cast
My August days behind me with my May,
     Nor strive to drag them into Autumn's place,
Nor swear I hope when I do but remember.
     Now violet and rose have had their day
I'll pluck the soberer asters with good grace
     And call September nothing but September.

~~
Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919)
from Poems of Sentiment, 1906

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

Ella Wheeler Wilcox biography

No comments:

Post a Comment