Saturday, June 3, 2023

The Poet in June / M.P.A. Crozier


The Poet in June

'Tis bliss to have the poet's heart
That loves the quietude of things,
Where nature smiles her bidden rocks,
And brings out sweet and cooling springs.

The June-green grass beneath my feet,
The dandelion's disk of gold,
The corn's slim spire just pushing out
From clean brown beds of kindly mold.

Bid welcome as I pass along
The harvest way across the lea;
While songs of birds are in my soul.
And eyes of flowers make love to me.

Down in the meadow's gliding stream
The children splash their snowy feet,
And all their laughter comes to me
Across the fields of growing wheat.

~~
M.P.A. Crozier (1834-1912)

[Poem is in the public domain worldwide]

M.P.A. Crozier biography

Ian S, Leeds County Way toward Biggin Farm, 2014. CC BY-SA 2.0, Wikimedia Commons.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, good memories of June flowers in the present day WINTER cold...!

    ReplyDelete