Saturday, October 10, 2026

2 October poems / Annette Wynne


                October

                Black and gold and red and brown,
                    Olive, pink, and blue.    
                What a riot of a gown —
                    What a medley hue!
                What a way to go about —
                    Crimson cloak and vest!
                October is a dancer
                    Dancing down the West.


I Love These Days



Child Playing in Leaves (courtesy
 Missouri State Archive), 1990.
Public domain, Wikimedia Commons.
I love these days when autumn leaves
    Are falling everywhere around,
And I can tread among the sheaves,
    And hear the crispy, crunchy sound.

I leave my dolly safe at home,
    And climb the old gray orchard wall;
The squirrels spy me where I roam,
    And scamper to the treetops tall.

And O, it is a pleasant thing
    To listen for the happy sound,
Each little leaflet tries to sing,
    That rustles softly to the ground.

And so I spend the afternoon,
    And watch the leaves go floating by
Till Mother comes to say that soon
    The dark will come into the sky.

I know when stars are overhead,
    The leaves all gather in a heap,
And while I lie quite warm in bed,
    They snuggle close and go to sleep.

~~
Annette Wynne (1889-1952)
from For Days and Days: A year-round treasury of child verse, 1919

[Poem is in the public domain in Canada, the United States, and the European Union]

[November]

No comments:

Post a Comment