Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jumbo Park / Stuart Leichter


Jumbo Park
or,
Poor Trait of the Artist Like a Young Man


I wanna joina band I said:
and so left home.
My friends & folks behind I headed
down to Zoobie's Pub to look
for barbecue in Jumbo Park
way outa town
and up the elephant's ass,
where something on the jukebox sounded mostly fast and bass
but congruous
among the puke and snatch
and peanut shells and stink of Zoobie's pits
and what's-this-here, beer?

Buyuh drink, you red bandancer
let me ask if jujuana
rock and roll the world tonight
unless they crush my own dick tracy
here in Zoobie's Pub
down in Jumbo Park
up the elephant's ass.

And then she told me:
I ain't got no jujuana
smoke or bleed or chew-um gum
I got for you my yellow eyes
my reign beaux babies
but for beer I'll make you sneeze.

I grabbed my life insteada snatch
and ran between my legs away
from Zoobie's babe, and Zoobie's pits
to try another rock and roll
or climb the poetree.

~~
2001

Stuart A. Leichter
North Carolina, U.S.A.


[All rights reserved by the author - Used with permission]

No comments:

Post a Comment